Musculoskeletal or MSK physiotherapy assesses and treats injuries and conditions that affect the muscles, bones and joints, or soft tissue areas of the body. Injuries can occur through sport, physical activity or general degeneration due to ageing.
The physiotherapists at PhysioNet are specialists in treating MSK disorders such as:
- ligament sprains and tears, e.g. shoulders, hips, knees, back
- muscle strains, e.g. lower back, neck, legs
- pre and post surgery rehabilitation
- sports injuries
What treatment can I expect?
- Manual therapy helps to restore normal mobility in your joints and reduce your pain
- Massage helps to breakdown scar tissue in your muscles and ligaments making them stronger and more flexible
- Ultrasound therapy is a machine that produces ultrasonic waves that are transmitted into the affected area using conducting gel. This helps to promote circulation which allows your affected tissue to recover quicker. It can also decrease your pain and help to relax your muscles. It is very useful in the treatment of soft tissue injuries
- Interferential therapy is an electrical current conducted through electrodes. It can be used to decrease pain, reduce inflammation and speed up recovery
- Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine needles into a specific body area. Used alongside conventional physiotherapy, acupuncture can help reduce your pain and muscle tightness
- Taping is often used to help support your joint alignment. This allow you to move normally and maintain flexibility
- Exercise is a key part of physiotherapy treatment. Not only does it help improve mobility of your joints, strengthen your muscles but it empowers you to return to good health